Once upon a time I was a self-proclaimed
feminist. I wore an internal badge of honor with pride because the feminist
movement in America
did such awesome things for women. Most of which, allowing women into a man's
world. I felt like a pretty lucky gal.
But
one day I got confused at Modern Feminist Women.
I
started to feel like girls with attitudes would flash a Feminist Wild Card, then
say horribly rude things; and if someone pointed out their crudeness, that someone
became lumped with "woman suppresser's."
I like
to respect people so I had a problem with that.
I
started to feel like being a Feminist was like joining a club. If I wanted to
be a member I was required to make certain decisions, like Don't get married at
19. Don't have kids right away. NEVER postpone school. Do NOT stay at home with
your kids. And, most importantly,
wish and desire to be something better than just a mom.
I don't
like being put in a box so I had a problem with this. (Kind of like those women
from decades ago that fought to not-be-put-in-a-box.)
I
started to feel like my fellow self-proclaimers didn't think things through very
far. I would see ladies not changing their last name when they get married. I
hear the roar: "We will not be owned by a man! We will not brand ourselves
with his name!"
Ok,
but to those that kept their dad's
name. . .?
Cuz
all I hear after the roar is, "Sorry person I'm about to marry, I'm a
Woman that is too strong willed and too independent! to be swallowed up by a Man's
name, so I'm going to keep the Man name my DAD gave me!"
If
I was going to show people I wasn't owned by men I would drop any and all names
given to me by a man and take my own. Which means I can't keep my maiden name (it's my dad's), I can't take my mothers maiden name (it's my grandfather's), I can't
choose the last name WOMAN either because MAN is represented: woMAN. Kind of
like HEr, sHE, huMAN, MANkind. If MAN is going to have nothing to do with me
and my name, the last name Woman still doesn't cut it.
If
I really wanted to represent and keep boys out, I would pick something as
obvious as the signs from my childhood: "No Boys Allowed."
"First
name?"
"Meagan."
"Last
name?"
"I
Want My Own Last Name."
"Excuse
me?"
"I
get that a lot, don't worry. My last name is I-Want-My-Own-Last-Name, all
separate words."
Another
self-proclaimer was telling a soon-to-be-mom-friend that becoming a mom is
really hard because you lose your independence. She explained how it's so hard
for her to be a mom because she misses the independence she had as a working
woman (which was elementary school math teacher).
I
was like, Whaaaaaaat? Slow down and hode on.
I
get it, as a mom you need to start doing things for others instead of yourself,
you should put their needs before yours, but as an elementary school math
teacher, it is MANDTORY you work 5 days a week, 10 hours a day, with small
children. You have restraints and restrictions on how you can and can not touch
or speak to them. You must obey your boss’s rules or he/she will FIRE you.
That’s the independence that’s missed? Cuz it sounds like following orders to
me.
No
need to glorify the demands of motherhood, but to think you ARE independent
when you have a job, but are NOT once you become a mother is ridiculous. Independence is a frame
of mind. It's making a decision and then doing your absolute best while running
out that decision. A woman's mind, abilities, decisions, and hard work is what
makes her independent.
I’m
a fan of intelligence so I had a problem with these things.
And
then some Religious Feminist straw broke my feminist back. I understand that some religious
women are feeling oppressed, suppressed, and incorrectly dressed; and I
strongly believe they should work towards a life that doesn’t feel that way and
hope they can find it. The end.
Originally,
I thought associating myself with Feminism felt liberating. It felt intelligent.
But then it started to feel like there were Feminist Task Masters yelling,
"Feminism is X,Y,Z, and if you're not X,Y,Z then you're against us! And
you shame the name of Feminism!" So I decided to nix the word because
really, in 2013 Western America, what’s a Feminist? I’ll not answer that, but instead
stick with associating myself with words like:
Respect
Box
Free
Intelligent
Independent
Liberating
the oppressed and suppressed
And I lived happily ever after.
Yep, feminists are crazy and do crazy things. I'm all for equality and independence but some people go too far and are insane.
ReplyDeleteThat's a big gap you put there between you and them Liz! Knowing you (one of the most easy going gals on the block) it's probably true. I always love to hear your responses :)
DeleteThe type of feminism you write about doesn't resonate with me either. At all. But, it is also not what I associate feminism as. For me personally, feminism is as simple as remembering women, and Mormon feminism for me is remembering Mormon women, and Mormon women's stories. I may have the views I do because I know many a woman who considers herself a feminist who supremely values motherhood, and her husband, and etc. These same women also value women making choices, whether that choice is to work, or stay at home, or etc.
ReplyDeletePatrick Mason also introduced one of my classes to a book called something like "Radical Homemaking," that suggests that homemaking (and mothering) can be some of the most radical, and feminist choices. Melissa wrote a great review of it on her blog.
Your writing always catches my attention Rachel, it's always full of thought. What a great way to define feminism. I dig it.
DeleteI really want to take Patrick's class and read Melissa's review now, thanks.
So glad to see the delicious red apple hasn't fallen far from the tree!
ReplyDelete