When I first became a mom I felt
completely lost as to how to take care of babies and young children. I’d ask my
mom questions and she would squint her face like she was trying to catch a
memory inside her head, but would always respond with, “I don’t remember.” I
can’t say that I blame her after 9 kids, but it made me feel pretty hopeless.
7 years and 4 kids later I feel
like I have two cents I can spare for any new moms that need it. No one threw me a bone, so catch this one if you want it ladies.
Lower your expectations of your
kids, keep your resolve to teach them very high. Kids are not adults, don’t
expect them to act like one. Expect your grown-up friends to act like adults -
not your 0-6 year olds. Your job is to pound social norms, taboos, and acceptable
behavior into their tiny minds (to teach them, that is).
An adult leaves the house with the
destination of going to the car, point A to point B. That adult will walk as
straight as possible with next to no distractions; can take less than 1 minute.
A child, in that same point A to point B scenario, will want to slowly descend
the apartment steps making space ship noises pretending to be a spaceship flying
above the bushes, they want to jump from shadow to shadow, they want to lay
down flat on the side walk to get a good look at a crawling bug, they want to
pick up the world’s best stick they just spotted 10 feet away, they want to run
in circles around you chasing someone or nothing. The adult’s point B (the car)
is like a kids point Z (if it even
exists to them). To avoid yelling and getting frustrated at your inquisitive
kid, add extra time to the time you need to get from your point A’s to point
B’s. I plan on 10 minutes to get to my car, seriously. When we make it to the
car in less time I’m ecstatic, when it takes the full 10 minutes everyone’s still
happy because there’s no rushing. The kids got to explore, I got to the car in
time so we won’t be late. Don’t expect your kid’s time table to reflect that of
an adult’s, if you do, frustration and screams ensue.
Lower your expectations for your
child, keep your resolve to teach them very high. I expect my 1 year old to
splash and play in the toilet, to stuff his blankie into the toilet, to throw
our X-box controllers into the toilet. I expect him to throw toys, underwear,
blankets, fingernail polish, sippy-cups, and more over the balcony of our 3rd
story apartment. I expect him to rip out the pages of my scriptures and every
other book in the house. I expect him to push the power buttons that turn off
my computer and T.V. while I’m using them. I expect to find my 3 year old on
top of the counters sneaking treats, and dipping toilet paper rolls into a sink
full of water. I expect my 4 year old to (somehow) accidentally smear poop onto
the toilet, I expect him to cry next to my leg all day because all he wants to do
is play video games. I expect my 6 year old to hate going to school every day
and refuse to do homework. When I
expect all of these behaviors (instead of mature, conditioned behavior) I can
be on top of my game. I expect it. That way I’m not dumbfounded into screaming,
slapping fits, or shocked into sudden rages of anger. I expect it. That way I
can level headedly discipline.
The root word of discipline is disciple. One definition
of Disciple is to teach and train (punishment is entirely different). After I
come across my kid acting like a not-adult, I attempt to teach them what they
should do instead.
The teaching we give little
children doesn’t always seem to sink in, but we keep at it because it’s our
duty. Teach them the rules at your house, the rules at the park, the rules at
other people’s houses, the rules of being outside; and when they don’t follow
the rules, treat it like sports, They’re Out. Time-out or whatever you use
should consistently happen when they don’t follow the rules. It’s a struggle
for both parties, but it’s what they need in order to best understand appropriate
behavior and inappropriate behavior.
Ultimatums
are no bueno. “If you don’t come here right now we’re never coming to the park
again!” No good. Avoid ultimatums always, always, always, when trying to
discipline. Ultimatums teach young ones that their parents pretty much never
follow through with punishments. Kids are learning their limits by how their parents
react to them. They’re figuring out what sorts of behaviors they can do without
getting mom to spank them, or send them to time-out, or take away they’re privileges.
Don’t underestimate their intelligence.
KIDS FIRST LANGUAGE IS PHYSICAL. They learn best when you physically do
something instead of telling them five times. When my 3 year old won’t stop
hitting the metal spoon against the oven door he will let the words, “Parker!
Stop that right now or you’ll go to time out,” go in and out. It’s when I walk
over and physically remove him from the situation that he starts to pay
attention. Parker will let me yell at him to get off the table all day because
words don’t mean as much to him as going over and pulling him down off the
table. And cuz he’s a brat. Young children are learning about the world; words
are second in their learning process.
Next
week: Cent 2.

this was perfect. thank you for writing this for me. it will be so helpful as I learn to navigate "parenthood" I want to be the mom that is patient and not yelling and losing my cool and these are AMAZING tips on how to get there. you're the best meagan.
ReplyDeleteThanks! Parenthood is like a roller coaster, but I always choose 6 Flags over the kiddie rides. It's cool, especially once you get used to the ups and downs.
DeleteGreat article! Even with 4 young kids myself...I still need to learn these lessons. Thanks for the reminder!
ReplyDeleteYou are so welcome, and I feel the same way! I love learning ways to help with the stress and tension that comes with being a mom.
DeleteI loved this too! You really do give the best parenting advice. I'm so lucky to be your friend! p.s. your kids are very well behaved and I love having them over! p.p.s is that Taylor in the p.b? And p.p.p.s who is the marker face?
ReplyDeleteThanks Kirsti, you're awesome too. Those pictures are from the internet abyss. I'm still shy about putting lots of personal photo's up. A prehistoric thought, I know.
DeleteOh, my gosh, Meagan, I am still laughing! There is something about experience that begets wisdom . . . but you are doing a slam-dunk job of sharing the jewels of skill that you've acquired! And you've hit in right on the mark, I might add!
ReplyDeleteSorry about not being much help. I guess I just wasn't as good as explaining it as you are! (Not even close!)
Thanks Mom. You were also going through the hardest part of your life, no need to say sorry to me. You're the best.
ReplyDelete