Wednesday, October 2, 2013

On Inequality in the Church


I’ve been watching the debating and arguing over the ordain women, girls go to priesthood session, and things, from the sidelines. I know I’m not the only one watching, so I wrote this for those still trying to decide what they think on the matter.

 The more I watch, the more I’m reminded of some Book of Mormon stories.   

In 3 Nephi 27:3-5 Jesus Christ finds His disciples disputing about something. The disciples ask Christ, “Lord, we will that thou wouldst tell us the name whereby we shall call this church; for there are disputations among the people concerning this matter.” Jesus answered, “Why is it that the people should murmur and dispute because of this thing? Have they not read the scriptures?”

In 1 Nephi 15:6-8 Nephi finds his brothers Laman and Lemuel disputing a topic. Nephi speaks to his “brethren, desiring to know of them the cause of their disputations. And they said: Behold, we cannot understand the words which our father hath spoken concerning the natural branches of the olive-tree, and also concerning the Gentiles. And [Nephi] said unto them: Have ye inquired of the Lord?”

In Moroni 8:5-7 people have been disputing over the practice of baptizing little children. Mormon writes a letter to his son Moroni saying, “There have been disputations among you concerning the baptism of your little children . . . immediately after I had learned these things of you I inquired of the Lord concerning the matter. And the word of the Lord came to me by the power of the Holy Ghost.”

In each of these situations people are disputing over something that is unclear and uncertain within the church. The disciples of Christ dispute because they are uncertain as to what they should name the church. Nephi’s brother’s dispute because they are unclear about doctrine taught by their father. The group of people with Moroni dispute because they aren’t sure at what age to baptize. Each of these groups is concerned about something they don’t have the answers to, just like the people right now who are disputing women’s equality in the church and what women should have or should not have. We can find answers on this matter in the same way the disputing people in the Book of Mormon were counseled to find answers.  

Over the subject being disputed, Christ asks His disciples, “Have they not read the scriptures?” Just as we should ask ourselves when uncertain about a doctrine. Through critical thinking, reading comprehension skills, and the Holy Ghost we can find answers for modern questions from their ancient text.

To his disputing brothers, Nephi asks, “have ye inquired of the Lord?” Mormon, not knowing the answer about the doctrine being disputed, “immediately . . . inquired of the Lord concerning the matter.” These stories teach us that when we aren’t clear about something we need to inquire (ask) of the Lord, and get answers. Jesus taught, “And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive” (Matthew 21:22).

If women holding the priesthood and women feeling unequal is important to you, find the answers to your questions. Ask, and further your spiritual progression toward knowing God.

When Lorenzo Snow was uncertain about a doctrine, he sought the Lord for the answer and received it through personal revelation. After receiving this “sacred communication,” he guarded it carefully, and “did not teach the doctrine publicly until he knew that the Prophet Joseph Smith had taught it” (Teachings of Presidents of the Church Lorenzo Snow, pg. 83). The Lord will tell us the answers to our questions, and when He does there is a high standard as to how we care for the revelations we receive, as shown by Lorenzo Snow.  

General Conference is this weekend. If you have questions about women and the priesthood, women and inequality in the church, take them to the Lord. Listen to the speakers, read your scriptures with intent, and ask Heavenly Father for the answers you are seeking. When a doctrinal question arises that seems unanswered, we will do well to accept personal responsibility for our own spiritual growth and understanding, and find the answers. Because, “If any of [us] lack wisdom, let [us] ask of God, that giveth to all [His children] liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given [us]” (James 1:5), right?

14 comments:

  1. Meagan, this is one of the best articles I've read on this issue. It doesn't tell anyone how to think, just asks them to pray about it. Love it.

    I guess the only thing I'm wary about is that church leadership usually suggests that "knowing" that someone will receive the same answer as them and unwilling to accept it if someone doesn't get the a answer they think they should get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nen
      Thank you so much!
      I'm confused what you mean in the second paragraph but am completely interested in what you have to say. Will you say it again for me in a different way? Sometimes I'm slow :)

      Delete
    2. The principles of the doctrine never change and if anyone asks with faith, humility, and the right intent, they WILL receive the answers the prophets give.

      You're cool, Meagan!

      Delete
    3. Good article with good advice. You mentioned some good examples. I would also mention the example that brought us the First Vision by Joseph. In James 1:5 we read: " If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him." This, and the examples you provided, are all great advice for those that seek personal revelation.

      We are also very fortunate that we have living prophets. Prophets that lead us and guide the church with direct supervision from above. These prophets receive revelation for the entire church, and for me, it is simple really. I trust the prophet and his guidance on such large issues that impact the entire church.

      I would also mention the 11th Article of Faith here: " We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may." In my opinion, if you believe your personal revelation supersedes that of the prophet, then do something about it. You have just started your own religion and should do so in your own buildings, with your own congregation, and don't bother calling yourself Mormon, or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, because you aren't.

      Delete
    4. William Wilson,
      Thank you for your comments. An unfortunate experience in life is what brought me to the point where I decided I will always trust the prophet. Experiences can be hard but they drive the nail home. I find strength in people like you that testify, "for me, it is simple really. I trust the prophet."


      Delete
  2. Great article Meagan!! You rock and I love your insights and faith on the matter!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirsti! I love to hear what others think too. What are your insights?

      Delete
  3. Very well done. I am so impressed Meagan, the Lord has truly guided your work here. You should post this anywhere and everywhere you can to reach as many of our members as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Big Daddy, those are kind words and compliments and they mean a lot to me. Being guided by the Lord is my favorite hobby :) Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Meagan.
    The article really applies to any query we have. I like what elder Uchtdorf has said on a few occasions. Ask questions but don't doubt the faith you already have. The faith we do have is far more important than the faith we do not have.
    We have always been encouraged to find out for ourselves whether principles of the gospel are true. The key to finding the truth has been and always will be believing we will receive answers. Asking in faith is the only way it works.

    This conference was a good one. I enjoyed the sessions I was able to attend.

    Keep well Meagan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Chace Hugo. I also feel passionately about Holland's words, "Honestly acknowledge your questions and your concerns, but first and forever fan the flame of your faith." It can feel hard to find the balance, but it's an important one to find. Thank you for reading, and thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  6. Meagan,

    I find it interesting that these very issues are reminiscent of the late 70's-early 80's, when I was at the same point in my life that you are at now. I remember watching the General Relief Society President Barbara Smith on the Phil Donahue Show, answering his questions about women in the church and the whole "all worthy men" receiving the priesthood announcement, and a comment he made that makes me cringe to this very day when I think back on it. She basically explained that the Prophet prays (as do the Apostles) and receives revelation on any such issue that concerns the entire body of church membership, REGARDLESS; that there was no type of democratic or legislative process involved. That what the Lord spoke, He spoke. Phil's response was a blatant, "That sounds like a rather arrogant God to me."

    The longer I live and the more I experience, the more I appreciate how much tough self-discipline, control and absolute selflessness is truly required to develop the kind of submission and humility it takes to become as the Savior is and has always been. The key and precious pearl of wisdom lies, however, in the magnificent magnitude of power that accompanies humility of that degree.

    I have never been more proud to be a woman in the Church than I was that day watching Sister Smith take on that renowned (and somewhat revered) television talk show host in her beautiful and calm, composed way.

    Keep writing, my dear! Share more of that good truth (about green beans, of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Mom,

    I find it incredible that we can receive so much personal strength from another person and they will never know it. It really encourages me to be the best I can be.

    ReplyDelete