Monday, April 15, 2013

A Mother's Value


          Recently I read a post from someone that was sticking up for women. In sticking up for women they called the decisions to be a mother and to stay at home with their children: Inferior.
          Inferior to what, I thought. A googolplex of things according to this person is my guess, but then why? 
          Why is it Inferior to be a mother?
          Why is it Inferior for a mother to stay at home with her children?
          Where did the value in these decisions go?
          Why is it Inferior to stay at home with the little humans I created? The little children I brought into this world? And help build them into confident, kind, and civil adults?
        
          When I really think about it, I feel like I kinda owe it to them a little. And, actually, society. I decided to bring them here, so it should be my responsibility to teach them how to be an empowered, independent human being that is fit for society.  

            So where did the value go, I wondered. I don't really know. But what I do know is this: 

            There is value in the decision a woman makes to forego her own interests and have a child.

            There is value in the decision to stay at home with the tiny soul she brought into this world. After all, they don't know a thing about the good, the bad, or the ugly of this crowded earth.

            Sure, the job description doesn't always look enticing. I literally get poop on my hands every day. I pick boogers out of little boys noses with my bare fingers. I catch vomit in my hand (and proud of it) in order to keep it off the carpet. I have multiple bed wetter's that make their room smell of perma-urine. The rest of my house smells of dirty children, and dirty dishes most of the time. If the table isn't sticky it's the chairs, or floor, or wall, or door, or door handle. It's too loud most of the time, and can get pretty chaotic, but it's what I call sacrifice.

            I "go through it all" so that I can be the one that plays peek-a-boo with my 8 mth old in order to hear him giggle and smile at me, and be the first one to discover his 2 teeth that are coming in. I "go through it all" so that I can be the one to have my 2 year old hold my finger with one hand and hold his sword (stick) with the other hand, defending us from bad guys as we walk. I "go through it all" so that I can be the one to hear my little 4 yr old boy tell me on a daily basis how pretty I am, and how beautiful my dress is, and how pretty my hair is. I "go through it all" so that I can be the one that can go to my daughters kindergarten assemblies whenever she gets awards. 

            There's value in being a mother because she values her child.

            There's value in a mother deciding to stay at home with her children because their-childhood-is-valuable.
     
           It's in those early years of development where the making and the molding of a person takes place. The value and the time expressed and given to a child helps determine a lot about the person they are going to be.

            Becoming a mother, to teach tiny souls and show them what it is to be loved and cared for, is not Inferior at all. I'm talking from the produce section where it's fresh and where it's true. I'm a mom and I've tried it, there is so much value here.

            I didn't always think this way though. When I first became a mom I took some canned, mushy version of this truth from some faceless person. The soupy version of the truth that I was believing was that there was nothing more inferior or crappier than staying at home with crying babies. And that a woman loses her identity to changing diapers, being in the kitchen, and scrubbing toilets.

            After time, though, I started to realize it was a mushy version of the truth. Sure, being a mom is hard, it can feel crappy, there's no pay check EVER, but the sacrifices are worth it. The fresh, bright-green truth is that the hard work pales in comparison to the fulfillment and satisfaction a mother gets from watching the growth of a little round-faced, bright-eyed child. It pales in comparison when a child looks at you like no one will ever take your place. It pales in comparison when a child hugs and kisses and loves you no matter what happened 5 minutes ago because you are all that matters to them.

             The reality of this crisp truth came to me during my kids bath time. They were filthy, the water was getting brown from their stinky bodies, and the soap was starting to be dirtier than clean. It was gross. Then I called out, "Feet," and watched little feet pop out of the water mid-play. Cringing when the brown water splashed on me, I started lathering each foot with soapy bubbles. A story popped into my head that has helped me never forget this moment. It was the story of the Savior washing His disciples feet.

            Jesus poured water into a basin, washed grown men's feet, and wiped them dry "with the towel wherwith he was girded" (John 13:5). The disciples were unwilling to let Jesus wash their feet at first, but then Jesus taught them why He was doing it. He taught them this: "Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you" (John 13:13-15).

            I was washing the feet of my children. I was following Christ's example. I was doing for my children what He taught His disciples, and ultimately everyone, to do. My decision to have and take care of children was not Inferior, it was exactly what the Savior needed me to do for the children He loves so dearly.

            "Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven," (Matthew 19:14) are the words He spoke to His disciples declaring that children are important.

            "Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven," (Matthew 18:3) are the words He spoke to declare a lasting decree that children are important.

            There is value in being a mother.

            There is value in deciding to stay at home and care for our little ones.

           

8 comments:

  1. I love catching throw up. Seriously; it means no cleaning the carpet! I got my moment of satisfaction when Ethan made an X with some sticks, and when Connor said his first word yesterday, and when Ethan finally waved back at me from the school bus. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful truths those are! I have been thinking about being a "stay-at-home" mom lately and how rare it is becoming. I am SO grateful I get to be home with my 3 little ones and, like you said, be the one who discovers the new teeth, and witnesses their funny sayings and cute mannerisms each day. Of course it is hard, but as one mother quotes, "All things excellent are as difficult as they are rare." (allboysbut9.com). I am saddened by how rare it is becoming to find a mother who stays at home, instead of taking on a full- or part-time job, with her children to raise them and teach and love them. It is so important! I loved your experience with washing your little ones' feet- how precious! I am going to remember that!

    We miss you and your family! And hope you are all doing well! Thanks for sharing!
    -Steph Cooper

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad for both of you! Feeling like what you're doing is important is where the real power comes from. For a long time I didn't feel that way and it was pretty tough, but now that I do feel that way life is sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for writing so eloquently the way I feel, too! It brought tears to my eyes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are SO welcome! It's a helpful thing for women and men to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meagan, help me feel this way too. Please. I have such a hard time most days and feel that mushy truth you spoke about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anything I can do for you I will! What can I help you with?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Been there; done that. You make me proud, Meagan! There is value in YOU. There is value in being YOUR mother! So glad for the time together! It really does go fast . . . eventually!

    ReplyDelete